Gov. Maggie Hassan is urging New Hampshire residents to be off the roads by 7 p.m., when the worst of the blizzard is expected to kick in.
"I'm urging all citizens to be where they need to be tonight by 7 p.m. and stay there through tomorrow afternoon," Hassan said at a press conference Friday at the Emergency Operations Center in Concord.
She said she's told state agency heads to be liberal in letting people leave work early if at all possible, and she urged New Hampshire companies to do the same.
Hassan said there is no need for a State of Emergency declaration at this time, but that could be a possibility in the future if the state needs to access additional resources. As much as 2 feet of snow is expected in some areas.
"Parts of the state will be impacted more than other parts of the state," she said. "The Seacoast is likely to be hit much harder than other parts of the state. The northern part of the state, less so."
Hassan said widespread power outages are not expected as a result of this storm, but shelters will be opened if necessary. She asked residents to check on their neighbors – particularly elderly ones – throughout the storm to make sure they're OK.
Chris Clement, commissioner of the state Department of Transportation, said 310 state plow trucks and another 437 hired trucks are ready to salt, sand and plow the state's highways.
"As the storm starts to ramp up later on this afternoon, this is really when our crews are going to be out working," he said. "If we could just keep everybody off the roads this evening and let our crews do our work and leave plenty of room for plows, we'd appreciate it."
So far, state police said there have been relatively few serious accidents on New Hampshire roadways.
"The roads are pretty quiet," said Col. Robert Quinn. "Today we had several accidents in and around the Concord area, but right now we're in good shape."
He urged motorists to drive courteously, have patience, leave ample time, and keep both hands on the wheel and both eyes on the road.