Server virtualization is simply running multiple servers on one cost-effective, virtualized piece of hardware. In other words, if you have an email server, file server and SQL server running on three physical servers, you’d run all three on one virtualized server.
The benefits are many:
- You only pay for one physical server, not three.
- Instead of maintaining three physical servers, you’re only maintaining one.
- You have less equipment to repair.
- Since we consolidated from three physical servers to one, you only need 1/3 the room to house the equipment.
- The new equipment uses 1/3 the electricity and creates roughly 1/3 the heat requiring less A/C.
- Migrating to faster hardware in the future is a simple endeavor.
Servers can be "lifted" off of one box and moved to the virtual box; there is no reinstalling, no reconfiguring, and no downtime for the end user. In other words, you leave work on Monday afternoon with three physical servers in your data closet and come in on Tuesday morning with two less physical servers.
Want to talk about the ways in which virtualization might help your business consolidate and better manage your IT? Call Technology Seed (www.TSeed.com) at 603-458-7190 or stop in to see us at 2 Dyer Ave, Salem, NH 03079.