Good morning, Salem! Here's five things you need to know on this Wednesday:
1. TODAY'S FORECAST: The day will start out nice, with highs in the mid 70s and sunny skies giving way to clouds as Wednesday progresses. Tonight there's a 50 percent chance of showers with lows in the mid 50s.
2. SELECTMEN MEET WITH BUDGET COMMITTEE: Tonight the Board of Selectmen will hold a joint meeting with the Budget Committee at 7 p.m. at The 2012 town budget is expected to be the focus of tonight's meeting.
3. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: On June 22, 2008, legendary comedian George Carlin died of heart failure at the age of 71. Carlin's decades-long career started in the early 1960s and continued up to his death. Carlin was asked to be the first guest host of a new sketch comedy show, Saturday Night Live, in 1975. Two years later, he starred in the first of what would be 14 comedy specials on the cable television station HBO (the last one aired in March 2008). Information courtesy of History.com.
4. READ TO DIXIE: Sign-up for one 15 minute session with Dixie the Read Dog at the Kelley Library from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Children can practice their reading skills to Dixie, who the library says "loves to be read to." Bring your own book or select one at the library. Registration required, contact Michele Garneau at 603-898-7064 or email@example.com.
5. CONCORD BUDGET VOTE: It's expected the state legislature will take a final vote on the budget today. House Majority Leader D.J. Bettencourt (R-Salem) told 107.7 The Pulse yesterday the budget was "not easy to put together" and expects it to contain an overall cut of "11 or 12 percent." Bettencourt also expects there will be enough votes to overturn Gov. John Lynch's veto of the parental notification bill today.