SONG OF THE DAY: "Inhaler" by Foals
Good morning, Salem! Here are five things you need to know today, Monday, Nov. 12:
1. MONDAY CLOSURES: Veterans Day is today but many Salem entities are observing the holiday tomorrow. Take a look at this list of what's closed around town Monday.
2. FACEBOOK COVER PHOTO CONTEST: This morning we launched our Facebook Cover Photo Contest where your photo can be our next cover. We've got all the details here.
3. HALLOWEEN CONSTUME CONTEST WINNER: We announced the winner of the NH Patch Halloween Costume Contest over the weekend and it has to be seen to be believed.
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: On this day in 1954, Ellis Island, the gateway to America, shuts it doors after processing more than 12 million immigrants since opening in 1892. Today, an estimated 40 percent of all Americans can trace their roots through Ellis Island, located in New York Harbor off the New Jersey coast and named for merchant Samuel Ellis, who owned the land in the 1770s. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Partly sunny with a high around 70. Partly cloudy with a low of 50.