SONG OF THE DAY: "Wild" by Beach House
Good morning, Salem! Here are five things you need to know today, Tuesday, Dec. 11:
1. ENTER DECK THE HOUSE TODAY: Do you have the best holiday display in front at your house in Salem? How about the state? How about the country?
Our annual "Deck the House" contest runs through Dec. 16 and the winner will receive $100,000 for their local schools. Enter your home today!
2. SCHOOL BOARD: The Salem School Board will meet at 7 p.m. in the Media Center at Salem High School. Here is their agenda.
3. PLANNING BOARD: Across the street, the Salem Planning Board will meet in the Knightly Meeting Room of Town Hall starting at 7 p.m., and you can see the agenda here.
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: After ruling for less than one year, Edward VIII becomes the first English monarch to voluntarily abdicate the throne on this day in 1936. He chose to abdicate after the British government, public, and the Church of England condemned his decision to marry the American divorcée Wallis Warfield Simpson. On the evening of December 11, he gave a radio address in which he explained, "I have found it impossible to carry on the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge the duties of king, as I would wish to do, without the help and support of the woman I love." On December 12, his younger brother, the duke of York, was proclaimed King George VI. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Partly sunny with highs in the lower 40s. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 25.