SONG OF THE DAY: "Lost" by Frank Ocean
Good morning, Salem! Here are five things you need to know today, Wednesday, Dec. 5:
1. BUDGET COMMITTEE: The Salem Municipal Budget Committee will meet at 7 p.m. in the Media Center at Salem High School. They will be starting their review of the 2013-2014 Salem School District budget and will receive a presentation from the Salem School Board.
2. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE: We asked a few days ago, what is your favorite holiday song? Go here and leave a comment with your favorite.
3. ENTER DECK THE HOUSE TODAY: Do you have the best holiday display in front at your house in Salem? How about the state? How about the country?
Our annual "Deck the House" contest runs through Dec. 16 and the winner will receive $100,000 for their local schools. Enter your home today!
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: On this day in 1839, Union General George Armstrong Custer is born in Harrison County, Ohio. Although he is best known for his demise at the hands of the Lakota and Cheyenne Indians at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, Montana, in 1876, Custer built a reputation as a dashing and effective cavalry leader during the Civil War. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Mostly cloudy with showers in the morning followed by sun in the afternoon and a high of 54. Clear and much colder tonight with lows around 26.