NH Lawmakers to get 'Fiscal Cliff' Briefing
House and Senate members have slew of meetings on state financial matters this week.
NH lawmakers get back to business this week. Here's a snapshot of the legislative week ahead:
Fiscal Cliff, Budget Focus. Starting at 10 this morning, Jan. 7, lawmakers will get a budget briefing, starting with Michael Bird of the National Conference of State Legislatures before House and Senate committees of Finance and Ways & Means. Other speakers scheduled to give insight in Rooms 210-211 of the Legislative Office Building, include:
- Jeff Pattison, Legislative Budget Assistant, on the status of the state budget;
- Dennis Delay, NH Center for Public Policy Studies;
- Kenneth Johnson of the UNH Carsey Institute;
- Yolanda Kodrzycki, of the Federal Service Bank of Boston.
Commerce, commence. On Tuesday, the House Commerce and Consumer Affairs Committee meets at 10 a.m. in Room 302 of the LOB for organization and orientation, which will include presentations by the Bureau of Securities Regulation, the Banking Department, and the Consumer Protection Bureau.
The Ways and the Means ... together like peanut butter and jelly. The House Ways and Means Committee meets Tuesday, starting at 10 a.m., in LOB Room 202, for the first of five interesting speakers:
- Mike Kane of the LBA at 10 a.m.
- Melinda Cyr of the Department of Revenue Administration at 11 a.m.
- Professor Marcus Hurn of the UNH School of Law at 1 p.m.
- Chancellor Ross Gittell of the Community College System of NH at 2 p.m. (Gittell is also scheduled to speak to the Senate Health, Education and Human Services Committee on Tuesday at 9 a.m. in Statehouse Room 103.)
- Brian Gottlob of Polecon Research at 3 p.m.
Everything you wanted to know about the Affordable Care Act but were afraid to ask? The House Health, Human Services and Elderly Affairs Committee meets Wednesday for a briefing on NH Medicaid Managed Care at 10 a.m. and, at 1 p.m., a briefing by Tom Bunnell, NH Voices for Health, that's titled, "Affordable Care Act – Where are we now?"
Tax Talk. The House Ways and Means Committee meets Wednesday in LOB Room 202 for additional fiscal focus. Speakers on the schedule:
- Jeff McLynch, NH Fiscal Policy Institute, at 10 a.m.
- Charlie Arlinghaus, Josiah Bartlett Center for Public Policy at 11 a.m.
- Joel Olbricht, chairman of the Business Tax Study Commission at 1 p.m.
Inaugural Ball. Gov. Maggie Hassan's second Inaugural Ball is this Saturday, Jan. 12, at the Mount Washington Hotel. Speaking of the governor, her new website (the state's website, with her office newly minted) features three hot buttons prominently on the left, called: "Innovate NH," "Balanced Budget" and "Public Safety."