Five Things: Xmas Tree Lighting Tonight
Our "Deck the House" contest continues.
SONG OF THE DAY: "Harvest" by Neil Young
Good morning, Salem! Here are five things you need to know today, Thursday, Dec. 6:
1. CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTING: The Salem Lions Club will host the annual Christmas tree lighting at Veterans Park starting at 6:30. We've got more information, and a place to upload your photos, here.
2. CLAIM YOUR BUSINESS LISTING: Are you a Salem business owner? Have you claimed your business listing with us yet? Find out how here.
3. ENTER DECK THE HOUSE TODAY: Do you have the best holiday display in front at your house in Salem? How about the state? How about the country?
Our annual "Deck the House" contest runs through Dec. 16 and the winner will receive $100,000 for their local schools. Enter your home today!
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: On this day in 1884, in Washington, D.C., workers place a nine-inch aluminum pyramid atop a tower of white marble, completing the construction of an impressive monument to the city's namesake and the nation's first president, George Washington. As early as 1783, the infant U.S. Congress decided that a statue of George Washington, the great Revolutionary War general, should be placed near the site of the new Congressional building, wherever it might be. After then-President Washington asked him to lay out a new federal capital on the Potomac River in 1791, architect Pierre L'Enfant left a place for the statue at the western end of the sweeping National Mall (near the monument's present location). Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Mostly sunny, colder with highs of 38. Mostly clear in the evening with lows around 28.