Five Things: Have You Entered 'Deck the House?'
Salem selectmen meet tonight at Town Hall.
SONG OF THE DAY: "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead
Good morning, Salem! Here are five things you need to know today, Monday, Dec. 10:
1. SELECTMEN: The Salem Board of Selectmen is scheduled to meet this evening at 7 p.m. in the Knightly Meeting Room of Town Hall.
2. POST YOUR EVENT OR ANNOUNCEMENT: We try to be as interactive as possible here at Patch. In keeping with that, we allow users to post their own events and announcements on our site. Check out the events page and the announcements page and add your own items today.
3. ENTER DECK THE HOUSE TODAY: Do you have the best holiday display in front at your house in Salem? How about the state? How about the country?
Our annual "Deck the House" contest runs through Dec. 16 and the winner will receive $100,000 for their local schools. Enter your home today!
4. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: The first Nobel Prizes are awarded in Stockholm, Sweden, in the fields of physics, chemistry, medicine, literature, and peace, on this day in 1901. The ceremony came on the fifth anniversary of the death of Alfred Nobel, the Swedish inventor of dynamite and other high explosives. In his will, Nobel directed that the bulk of his vast fortune be placed in a fund in which the interest would be "annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit on mankind." Although Nobel offered no public reason for his creation of the prizes, it is widely believed that he did so out of moral regret over the increasingly lethal uses of his inventions in war. Information courtesy of History.com.
5. TODAY'S FORECAST: Rain with highs around 50. Rain likely with lows around 40 tonight.